- Difficulty 1
- Prep Time 25 mins
- Cook Time None
- Serves 4 to 6
Feta and watermelon are summertime BFFs in salads. And this one is a taste explosion, with sweet, salty and sour flavours all working together in perfect harmony. Honey lager and a dab of liquid honey sweeten up the tart lime juice in the dressing, while feta brings both creaminess and saltiness to the table. Best thing is that this showy side is easy and fast to toss together, and it goes with all your fave grilled meats.
Ingredients for the Honey Lager Dressing
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) honey lager
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) liquid honey
- Pinch salt
Ingredients for the Melon, Feta & Mint Salad
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) very thinly sliced red onion
- 4 cups (1 L) cubed seedless watermelon (1/2-inch cubes), see tips
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled feta cheese (about 60 g), see tips
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) coarsely chopped mint
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coarsely chopped parsley
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions for the Honey Lager Dressing
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk together honey lager, lime juice, honey and salt until honey is completely dissolved. Set aside.
Directions for the Melon, Feta & Mint Salad
- 1. In another small bowl, combine onion with 1-1/2 tbsp (22.5 mL) of the dressing. Stir to coat. Let marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- 2. Strain onion, discarding marinade. On a large plate or platter, layer watermelon, feta, onion, mint and parsley. Drizzle with remaining dressing and sprinkle with cayenne (if using). Serve immediately.
- You’ll only need one-third to half of a large watermelon for this salad. If mini watermelons are in season, one of those little guys (about 1.2 to 1.35 kg) might be just the right size.
- For the ultimate flavour, buy a chunk of good-quality, full-fat, creamy feta cheese and crumble it yourself.
- Cayenne pepper can add a really nice kick and extra interest to this salad. If you use it, start with a tiny pinch and build up from there, according to your spice tolerance.