Any light lager works for this recipe but your guests are always going to eat with their senses before they even taste the food. I’d recommend using any number of light Mexican lagers because they run hand in hand with the use of lime.
2 lbs (900 g) – chicken wings
For the Marinade
approximately 330 mL beer (preferably a pale lager)
¼ cup (60 mL) – vegetable oil
¼ cup (60 mL) – red wine vinegar
Juice and zest of 2 limes
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp (30 mL) – black pepper
1 Tbsp (15 mL) – salt
1 Tbsp (15 mL) – fresh garlic or 1 tsp of garlic powder
2 Tbsp (30 mL) – honey
For the Sauce
Splash of beer
1 Tbsp (15 mL) – black pepper
¼ cup (60 mL) – honey
Smoked Blue Cheese Dip (Your Veggies Need Dip!)
1/2 cup (120 mL) – mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) – onion, grated
1 tsp (5 mL) – fresh thyme, chopped
1 Tbsp (15 mL) – red wine vinegar
1/3 cup (80 mL) – smoked blue cheese, crumbled
1. Place the chicken wings in a large resealable freezer bag with all of the marinade and spice ingredients. Let it marinate in the refrigerator for 1-4 hours.
2. Fire up your Broil King grill and adjust the settings to a constant 275°F, or adjust half to grill on MEDIUM and half on LOW. Place wood chips in the Broil King smoker box; half of them soaked and half of them dry. This encourages the continuous generation of smoke. Flip your cooking grates over – the V-side of a Broil King grid grills wings the best.
3. Remove the chicken wings from the marinade then lay them out evenly on the LOW-heat cooking grids. Place the wings apart; they shouldn’t make contact with each other. Close the lid and grill for 10 minutes. Open the lid and use the leftover marinade to thoroughly baste the chicken wings on all sides. Close the lid and grill for another 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place the sauce ingredients in a large bowl and mix together.
5. Move the chicken wings to the MEDIUM-side of the grill. Grill until the skin is crispy and golden brown; about 10 minutes.
6. When the chicken wings are ready, add them to the bowl of sauce and toss everything together. Place the wings back on the LOW-side of the grill for 5 minutes. Remove and serve.
Directions For Marinade
1. Mix the dip ingredients together in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
2. Serve with an assortment of fresh, crunchy vegetables.