- Difficulty 2
- Prep Time 20 mins
- Cook Time 5 mins
- Serves 5-6
Fresh and cheerful, this festive wheat beer sangria is perfect for holiday get-togethers. For the ultimate party hack, serve it in a pitcher or punch bowl and let guests help themselves. That way you can attend to more important party tasks — like refilling snack plates or hanging with friends and family. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Rosemary Lemon Simple Syrup
- ½ cup (125 mL) sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 2 large sprigs rosemary
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon zest
Ingredients for Holiday Wheat Beer Sangria
- 1½ cups (625 mL) chilled cranberry juice (100% juice blend)
- 2 - 500 mL cans chilled wheat beer
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chilled rosemary simple syrup
- 2 large sprigs rosemary, plus more sprigs for garnish (optional)
- 1 firm, but ripe pear
- ½ cup (125 mL) fresh or frozen cranberries
- ½ cup (125 mL) fresh or frozen pomegranate arils
Directions for Rosemary Lemon Simple Syrup
- 1. Add sugar, water and rosemary sprigs to a small pot and bring to a simmer over high heat, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon zest, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a jar with a lid. Cool and place the sealed jar in the fridge to chill. Syrup will keep for up to 1 week. Makes ½ cup (125 mL).
Directions for Holiday Wheat Beer Sangria
- 1. In a large bowl, gently stir together cranberry juice, wheat beer, lemon juice, and Rosemary Lemon Simple Syrup. Place in the refrigerator to keep chilled while preparing the fruit.
- 2. Meanwhile, rub a sprig of rosemary along the inside of a pitcher or punch bowl, then toss it in along with the remaining sprig of rosemary. Thinly slice the pear and remove any seeds. Add to the pitcher along with cranberries and pomegranate arils. Pour chilled beer and juice mixture overtop and stir gently to combine. Refrigerate or serve alongside glasses, a bucket of ice and optional rosemary sprig garnishes so guests can help themselves.
- For the best flavour, ensure that all ingredients are chilled and use fresh, blemish-free pears. Frozen cranberries and pomegranate arils work very well here to both flavour and chill the sangria. Serving ice on the side of the pitcher or punch bowl ensures the beverage won’t get diluted.