Brownies from a brownie mix are good. Brownies from a higher-quality mix (look for one that doesn’t have sugar as the first ingredient) with beer added are even better. Use either porter or stout, ideally one with coffee notes, if you’re into that kind of thing.
1 (595 g) package chocolate brownie mix with chocolate chunks and chips
1/3 cup (80 mL) stout
1/3 cup (80 mL) vegetable oil
1 large egg
2 tsp (10 mL) espresso powder (optional)
Maldon or other flaky salt (optional but highly recommended)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Pour brownie mix into a large bowl.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together stout, oil, egg and espresso powder until blended. Pour over the dry mix and stir until no dry bits remain.
4. Pour into baking pan and smooth with back of a spoon.
5. Bake in preheated oven according to package directions, 37 to 42 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool, then sprinkle with salt (if using).