- Difficulty 2/5
- Prep Time 15 min
- Cook Time 20 min
- Serves 2
There are dozens of ways to steam mussels and clams but I’m a big fan of beer, coconut milk and butter. They provide the perfect creamy flavorful broth for mollusks. Pick a IPA with the right hoppyness and some good citrus notes. There are a lot of great options out there.
- 1 lb (453 g) – mussels
- 1 lb (453 g) – clams
- 1 cup (240 mL) – of IPA
- 1 cup (240 mL) – Chorizo sausage cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion (preferably Spanish) diced
- 1/2 red pepper thin sliced
- 1 cup (240 mL) – coconut milk or cream
- 1 orange juiced and zested
- 1/4 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) – butter
- 1 Baguette – sliced
- 1 lemon halved – retain for serving
- 1. Preheat your grill on MEDIUM-HIGH to roughly 425F (218C). Place a a deep skillet or small pot directly on the cooking grids and add the butter and onions to the pan, cook the onions (with the grill lid closed) until they start to caramelize then add the cubed chorizo, garlic and orange zest. Saute for several minutes until the chorizo and onions brown.
- 2. Add the mussels, clams and pour the coconut milk, beer and freshly squeezed orange juice over them, bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir and add parsley, then let stand until the mussels open. Discard any mussels which failed to open.
- 3. Arrange cooked mussels in large serving bowl, pour remaining sauce over mussels and serve with grilled bread for dipping. Squeeze lemon juice over top as consumed.
Brought to you by