- Difficulty 1
- Prep Time 10 min
- Cook Time 20 min
- Serves 12 - 16 appetizer
Take your best bread sticks, crackers, soft pretzels, crunchy raw veggies and tortilla chips for a dip in this creamy party hero. Stir leftovers (if there are any) into hot pasta for a quick-and-dirty mac and cheese. You can use whichever salsa you like, from ultra-mild to fiery-hot.
- 1 cup (250 mL) India pale ale
- 125 g cream cheese, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa
- 1. In a medium pot over medium-high heat, bring ale to a boil. Whisk in cream cheese until smooth.
- 2. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar and mozzarella until melted and smooth.
- 3. Stir in salsa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking often to prevent burning, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- 4. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Dip will thicken even more as it stands.
- This dip is fully customizable. If you like it sharper, go for an aged cheddar. For a spicier result, swap in jalapeño Jack for the plain and hot salsa instead of mild. Just keep in mind that the flavour intensifies as the dip thickens.
- Salsa not hot enough for ya? Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or a few drops of your favourite hot sauce to it before stirring it into the cheese mixture.