Environmental leadership. It’s one of our core values.
We don’t just talk about the importance of being environmentally responsible at The Beer Store, we actually do something about it – we’ve even made Environmental Leadership one of our core values.
Here are some of the ways we “walk the talk”:
- We take back all the packaging that we sell to consumers, as well as from the 17,807 bars and restaurants we sell our products to. In fact, we’re a global leader in this practice. All collected materials are either reused or recycled.
- We have an impressive recovery rate of 97% on the industry standard bottle. Ours is undoubtedly the most successful waste diversion program in Ontario, if not all of North America.
- Recycling industry standard bottles and inert glass containers helps reduce pressure on landfill space and significantly reduces pollution and green house gas (GHG) emissions.
- The Beer Store was Canada’s first business recipient of the Environmental Choice Leadership Award.
- In 2007, The Beer Store entered into a landmark five-year contract with the Ontario government to take back and refund deposits on all wine, spirit and cooler containers sold in Ontario through the Ontario Deposit Return Program, and this partnership has been renewed twice since then and continues today.
Save Time Returning – Here are some tips to help make your return experience a good one.
1. Transfer your loose containers into our tote bins.
2. Use refillable boxes for easy storage and return of containers.
3. Return containers during off-peak hours. Ask the staff at your local store for suggestions.
4. Sort containers by like sizes and container types (ie. wine bottles vs. clear beer bottles etc.)
5. Returning a large number of containers? Contact your local store to arrange a drop-off time so we can serve you more efficiently.
Thank you for doing your part!
The recycling activities under the two deposit programs result in: 207,000 tonnes of avoided green house gas emissions = Removing 44,236 cars from the road each year.