Stewardship Report 2016
Reduce, Reuse, Repeat.
At the Beer Store, we are serious about our commitment to the environment. We work hard every day to protect the environment by facilitating the reuse and recycling of beer containers and the packaging they are sold in.
Working Together for a Greener Tomorrow, the 2015-2016 Beer Store Annual Stewardship Report for primary and secondary alcohol packaging, includes details on the Beer Store’s deposit return system for beer containers and the Ontario Deposit Return Program (ODRP) for non-Beer Store listed beer, wine, spirit, and cooler containers.
Highlights of our performance in 2014-2015:
- Over 1.95 billion beverage alcohol containers collected from Ontario consumers (over 1.6 billion beer containers and over 342 million ODRP containers)
- Recovery rate of 90% for beer containers
- Over $160 million in deposits on beer containers refunded to consumers
- 96.5% of all refillable beer bottles sold in Ontario were returned – these bottles are reused an average of 15 times before being recycled into new glass bottles
- 79.4% of wine, spirit, cooler and non-Beer Store listed beer containers (ODRP containers) were recovered.
- The Beer Store continues to recover more paper and plastic packaging than the industry generated – which is then sent for recycling
- Over 200,000 tonnes of GHG emissions avoided as a result of these programs – equivalent to taking 42,300 cars off Ontario’s roads and highways
- Social media and In-Store promotion and educational campaign