Reduce, Reuse, Repeat.
At the Beer Store, we are serious about our commitment to the environment. We work hard every day to protect the environment by facilitating the reuse and recycling of beer containers and the packaging they are sold in.
Reduce Reuse Repeat, the 2014-2015 Beer Store Annual Stewardship Report for primary and secondary alcohol packaging, includes details on the Beer Store’s deposit return system for beer containers and the Ontario Deposit Return Program (ODRP) for non-Beer Store listed beer, wine, spirit, and cooler containers.
Highlights of our performance in 2014-2015:
- Over 1.9 billion beverage alcohol containers collected from Ontario consumers (over 1.6 billion beer containers and over 315 million ODRP containers)
- Recovery rate of 91% for beer containers
- Over $160 million in deposits on beer containers refunded to consumers
- 97.7% of all refillable beer bottles sold in Ontario were returned – these bottles are reused an average of 15 times before being recycled into new glass bottles
- 78.5% of wine, spirit, cooler and non-Beer Store listed beer containers (ODRP containers) were recovered – more than 2 billion containers have been collected since the program began in 2007;
- The Beer Store continues to recover more paper and plastic packaging than the industry generated – which is then sent for recycling
- Diverted over 400,000 tonnes of material from Ontario landfills – equivalent of about 45% of all material collected through the Blue Box
- Over 200,000 tonnes of GHG emissions avoided as a result of these programs – equivalent to taking 42,300 cars off Ontario’s roads and highways