- Difficulty 3
- Prep Time 45 min
- Cook Time 35 min
- Serves 4
Light lager adds flavour to the pinto beans in these tasty tacos. Get creative with the ingredients: Use serrano or jalapeno peppers instead of the green chili, or add grated sharp cheddar cheese (or a plant-based substitute) for extra richness. A mandoline is the ideal tool for thinly slicing the red onions.
- 1/2 large red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tbsp (37.5 mL) fresh lime juice, divided (approx)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt, divided (approx)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small green chili, minced (remove seeds and ribs for less heat)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) chili powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried oregano
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) light lager
- 2 540 mL cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 small (or 2 to 3 large) ripe but firm avocados (about 360 g), pitted and peeled
- 12 small fresh flour tortillas
- Cilantro leaves and hot sauce
- 1. Combine red onion, 1 1/2 tbsp (22.5 mL) lime juice and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt in a small bowl. Using hands, toss together. Set aside.
- 2. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and slightly golden around edges, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and green chili; cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes. Add cumin, chili powder, oregano and cayenne; cook, stirring constantly to ensure spices don’t stick to bottom of pan and burn, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 3. Pour in broth, lager, beans and 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) of the remaining salt. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil; boil, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until most of the liquid evaporates, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, combine avocado, and remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt in a medium bowl. Using a fork, gently mash avocado until smooth but chunky. Stir guacamole a few more times, then taste and add more salt or lime juice as necessary.
- 5. Warm tortillas according to package directions, then serve tacos family style. Each taco should have approximately 1/4 cup (60 mL) beans, 2 tbsp (30 mL) guacamole, a sprinkling of pickled onions and a few fresh cilantro leaves. Serve with your favourite hot sauce.